A casino in Enid, OK???.If an Indian tribe, worked through all of the bureaucratic process with the Bureau of Indian Affairs and may build a casino in downtown Enid, are you for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos across the state, you probably run into other folks you know from Enid, partaking in the recreation furnished by the casinos. These are the same somebody that has left our town and are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping with the stores, eating in the restaurants, and staying at the hotels inside the area.
A brief history:
The ability to run bingo games was one of the many concessions built to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person developed a bingo game that seemed like a slot machine. We supply seen the tiny digital bingo card at the top corner with the display screen of the slot machine. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos did start to spring up everywhere. After all, you had been still playing bingo, just in a very new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact between the tribes and the State of Oklahoma allowed the use of Vegas style slot machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and therefore are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino is only able to be built within historic tribal boundaries and after that placed in the trust with the U.S. government. Since Enid does not have any casino, is that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it absolutely was found, that ahead of the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part of the Cherokee Outlet, occupied through the Cherokee people pursuing the Treaty of New Echota and the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the area was a hunting ground in the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us as being within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive aspects of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are taken up operate tribal governments and programs due to the citizens. In addition, a portion of the revenue is split with all the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes make use of the revenues to further improve infrastructure.
3. Related tourist attractions are built.
4. Jobs are manufactured.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons discovered that over 80 percent of the visitors to casinos were enthusiastic about also doing something apart from gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions for example family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian business owners.
10. Casinos supply a magnet for outside money that failed to previously exist.
11. Local resident who accustomed to travel outside from the area now stays within the spot.
12. More construction jobs are set up building casinos.
13. Gambling is an accepted opportinity for governments to improve funds. It is seen as an source of money that is certainly easier to obtain because it's not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the subsequent businesses showed an boost in profits, attendance, and customers after an internet casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative elements of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on what well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependency.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time invested in useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amounts more info of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes can also be influencing gambling and other policies affecting Native Americans by handing quite a bit to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there can be an increase in the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is known as an action addiction. When gambling, those hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more frequently, it contributes to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so it takes more gambling and better stakes, to get the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling fires up the human brain the same way that cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If a casino were to petition to find downtown Enid, what would be your opinion? Do you think it will enhance our community or bring social problems we may not want to manage?